Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween



The night before Halloween, Anthony asked if he was off school.  After I told him no, he said, "Curse you Halloween."  I was debating telling him he could stay home, but figured I'd wait until morning to make my decision.   I didn't make him go and he was thrilled.   Grandma and I took the kids to the library.  Mr. Spence read two Halloween stories. The kids colored while Grandma made the craft.  They got to bring home a pumpkin.

Last night Grandma, Daddy, and I took the kids to Trunk or Treat at a Baptist Church on Maryville Highway.  We've been the last three years.  Anthony got to ride the Shriner's mini trucks again and a tractor train.  He loved the bounce house and the bounce house slide.  Grandma and I did the cake walk.  The kids had a blast.  We got to pet a sheep, who's owner happened to be where we got Madelyn when she was a baby bunny. Anthony would move on to the next car to get his candy.  He was in a hurry to take off his costume and play.  Emily walked patiently with Grandma and never even peeked in her bag to check out her goodies. Until one of the last cars.  One lady had put a banana in her bag and she really wanted it........

Then we went trick or treating at a few houses in Boones Landing.  Emily was a little shy at first.  We had to open her candy bag for her. She never said trick or treat like we had practiced at home.  Mostly she stared at the people as they opened the door and until I dragged her away.  After every house she said, "More porches."  She got much better and stood in front of Anthony at every house and put her bag on the ground and held it with two hands so people could reach inside.  When it was time to leave she would pick it up and go to the next house. At one house a man held out o bowl of full of candy and Halloween pencils and one apple.  I heard Emily say apple.  The man didn't hear her and told her to take what she wanted.  Of course, she was too shy to do that, so she just stared.  I told him she was checking out his apple.  He laughed and said, "An apple.  You don't want that."  I said, "No really, she wants your apple." He smiled and put it in her bag, but not before hiding a kit kat bar behind it so she wouldn't see.  Anthony and I were laughing because in between houses she was singing, "low, low, low, low." (from Apple bottom jeans with the boots and the fur........ shorty got low, low, low, low.  One lady said Anthony's costume was the best she'd seen all night and everyone thought Emily was the cutest kitty cat.